Thursday 5 December 2013

Sequential

The other day I went to the pharmacy, the old one on the block.. the one we used to go to.
Can you believe it, when I went there, the same old folks were there... after such a long time.
After such a long time, the same people serving behind the counter, maintaining the place, pleasing the customers, dancing with life.
I looked out that same old windowpane and what did I see?  That's right, nothing had changed!  After all this time, it was still there.  That view, the same people, not much altered, not much gained.  I looked and, although the view was the same, if not more beautiful, more scenic, more enticing than before, more fully grown, flourished and in bloom, there was also something different.  As I stared, and stared and wanted to stare more... I wanted to look again, for longer, forever, again and again.  I wanted to look out there for a long time!  The view, just suddenly disappeared.  Like an overcast shadow, the blind was dropped.  The same old man closed the view.  I couldn't work out why and in my astonishment I began to question loudly and harshly... 'Madam,' he informed me politely.  They will soon be closing up the view on this side of the building permanently, forever.  There is a new windowpane that will be installed on the other side of the building.  The view was lost, gone forever, like a part of the old pharmacy and its history, the foundation that began with it, would be without it and I was sure it would never quite be the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment